Thursday, August 5, 2010

11.5 Things #11

I think out of all of the 11.5 Things, #11 is of most importance and applicable at any age when using the internet/computer.Here is my list of 5 things I would discuss with my students as we start off the year in the library using the itouches and computers:

1.Safety- Stressing the importance of safety when using the web! Teaching and instilling in them that they should NEVER give out personal information to any website or person on the web. Do not get into talk with anyone you don't know either. My students of course are 5th graders, so this is of high importance for me to share with them.

2. Good resources- Helping them to identify what would be considered good resources. I would most likely give them a list of kid appropriate websites at the beginning of the year and we could add to the list as the year progressed. As they better with understanding what a good resource is, I would allow them to start looking for other resources to help their research or topic of study.

3. Etiquette- So many times and email or posting can come across the wrong way even though it was not meant to be ugly. Teaching students proper web etiquette will help them to be polite and not get into a situation where something posted hurt another students feelings. I think this would be the easiest to teach and share. No body wants their feelings hurt.

4.Proper citing- This is a must! I always stress to my students if you use something from a website then you must give proper credit to the source. I always have a sheet for them to look at in order to properly cite the source when we start to do research.

5. Cyber Bullying- This topic was discussed in our library, but also we pulled in our DARE Officer to address the issue. As we saw this past year on the news this has become a major problem for kids. So we stress to them to tell an adult immediately, don't let it get out of hand. If you feel you are being being bullied online then let an adult handle it. There is no reason for bullying online or in person.

As for my lesson, I would have the librarian co-teach it with me. Based on these five things, It would take about 5 weeks t complete. We would address each of the topics above using an online computer cartoon guy. I can't remember the website our librarian used, by the lessons were good. After each lesson we could have the students go and practice proper computer usage.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you've got this part completely covered. Hope it works out the way you want it to. I think having the librarian co-teach is a great idea and will make that much more of an impact on your kids.

    ReplyDelete