Monday, August 2, 2010

11.5 Things #10

Ok, the whole Second Life thing is creepy to me. I don't have any reason, except this class to have a second life. I found it very confusing. I lost my iris' for a minute and looked as though I was possessed, then I couldn't change my clothes. I really didn't care for the outfit I had on. I am not a fan of this particular activity. I find it very strange that you can become some one else. Why, does one enjoy this? I know people do it escape the real world, but I am particularly fond of my life in the real world and have no need to be someone I am not. Thumbs down to this one. It has no reason for being in the classroom. I didn't think it was easy to understand the directions and trying to figure out how I got to China where I didn't even speak Chinese was really weird. I have experienced it for a short time span and will not go back. However, I did like my name.. Scarlet Turquoise!

2 comments:

  1. please remember that this exercise is to introduce you to things our students take for granted! Virtual worlds are not strange to many of the young people we come into contact with these days. Also there are many professions that use components of virtual worlds to train people for their jobs or indeed do there jobs in virtual settings!

    As you become more comfortable with the 2.0 world, take otehr opportunities to see the educational aspects of virtual worlds. There will be things going on in district even this year where students have opportunities (with teacher assistance) to explore science and history in virtual worlds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some things are great for us and other things, not so much. I'm not a big fan of Second Life, but I know that several other librarians love it and use it to teach so many different things. If you aren't comfortable with it, then move on to the next thing and forge ahead. As long as you have a basic awareness of it, then you are okay!

    ReplyDelete