Saturday, July 24, 2010

11.5 Thing #3

This one is exciting because the librarian at my school and I were just talking about using Skype next year to talk with students in another country. I reading the book Three Cups of Tea ( about one man building schools in northern Pakistan and Afghanistan). This book sparked our conversation about possibly skyping next year. My church just rebuilt schools in southern India to replace the ones destroyed by the after math of the Tsunami a couple of years ago. The government schools that were destroyed were in the slums of India so the gov't wouldn't replace them, so my church went into India and built 3 private schools for the poor children living down in the slums. So I thought I would find out more info on those schools and see if they had Skype capability. Skype brings ona whole new meaning to pen pal. I myself had never used Skype and so I downloaded it at the beginning of the summer. Now I use it to talk to my brother at Del Mar Marine base. I think this would be a wonderful way our students to learn about another country and how they learn. So looking forward to this next year!

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! I hope you get to talk to the kids in another country. Just imagine your students going home and saying they talked to someone in China today! We're also talking about having virtual author visits at my school, too. Smaller groups for a more intimate chat and so much more affordable!

    ReplyDelete