Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Thing #15

Sorry, they are out of order didn't realize this until I posted 16.

I am going to respond to the Away from the icebergs Library 2.0. To me it seemed that these articles were written by people not in the world of elementary schools, mostly colleges. I could be wrong, but that is what I got from them. Ok, now to my response- as someone who earned my masters degree in reading through Sam Houston States online reading program, I can see both sides of the issue of paper libraries vs. online libraries. I did all my research online through the SHSU online library with all the articles I ever needed and of course the web to find info also. Not once did I use actual library building to check out books or do research. So at an upper level of education like college, I think the just in case colleciton is not useful. At the elementary level they need the hands on experience of checking out books and learning to love to read. Snuggling up with a good book is easy to do, but snuggling up with a computer is not so relaxing. I find myself constantly trying to find a comfortable position with this laptop, but I juts can't seem to do it.
Again all 3 of these issues, I think depend on the level at which you are teaching. Kids need to understand the idea and purpose of doing research. They need to practice it also. I know in my class the kiddos do most of their research online, but I do have them check out at least on book to reference. I also use the books to help them see and understand how information is organized. I agree that we need to help the user learn to use the internet efficiently in order to read and learn instead getting stuck with non-useful sites and information.
I agree that there always has to be some sort of change or progress in order to keep a business running, you can't stay in dark and keep your business going strong, but do think there is a way to incorporate both the virtual library and he physical library. Librarians are the key, along with teachers, to getting kids hooked on books and interested in reading. Kids need to be able to pull and book off the shelf and get lost in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment